Information by Professional Discipline
For your convenience, we have compiled dozens of resources available by professional discipline. Please visit our resources page here for more information, including statistics for a general overview of the hidden problem of elder abuse
- Elder Mistreatment (online book by National Academies Press) by Bonnie & Wallace, Eds, 2003
- The Availability and Utility of Interdisciplinary Data on Elder Abuse (pdf) NCEA
- Another look at the helpfulness of occupational groups in the discovery of elder abuse and neglect (Abstract) Blakely and Dolon, Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect 2001
- HIPAA Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996
Although releasing medical information to APS is not a HIPAA violation, many medical providers are under the mistaken belief that it is. This letter was written by the federal government’s Office for Civil Rights in response to these concerns. It states that medical providers are required to release up-to-date medical information without an authorization or court order to Adult Protection Services.
To allow covered entities to appropriately share information in this context [of protecting individuals against abuse and neglect and domestic violence], and to harmonize the Privacy Rule with existing state and federal laws mandating uses and disclosures of protected health information, 45 CFR §512(a) permits covered entities to comply with laws requiring the use or disclosure of protected health information, provided the use or disclosure meets and is limited to the relevant requirements of such other laws. Where and to the extent that such disclosures are required by law, no authorization or court order is required for the disclosure.
Click here to download the PDF of this letter.
- Our Aging Population: Promoting Empowerment, Preventing Victimization, and Implementing Coordinated Interventions (PDF), 2000
- For information about multidisciplinary teams, elder death/fatality review teams and elder abuse forensic centers, visit our Interdisciplinary Efforts section
"Reaching Important Gatekeepers: Training Pharmacists about Elder Abuse” (by Center of Excellence, UCI Geriatrics, and USC School of Pharmacy) To support pharmacy school instructors seeking to include elder abuse-related content in their classes, we have developed free modularized materials that can be downloaded from this website. These modules can be incorporated into various classes. Training materials include:
- Learning objectives
- Powerpoint slides
- Multiple-choice test questions
- Scenarios (written and on video)